Career in Law
“ A person whose profession is to represent a client in a court of law or to advise or act for client on other legal matter.”
In past many of our statesmen like Mahatma Gandhi, Dr. Rajendra Prasad , Abraham Lincoln and many more, were from Law background. In present time also there are many political leaders are from law side.
Traditionally , there were only Civil lawyer and Criminal Lawyer but with the passage of time spectrum of profession has increased manifold and new areas in the form Legal Advisor, Legal Journalism , Corporate Lawyer , Taxation Lawyer etc , has opened new scope of opportunities. Introduction of new tax regime of “ONE NATION ONE TAX” in the form of “Goods and Service Tax“(GST) from 1 July, 2017 will also add to areas of opportunities.
Career Point of View:
Person having command over spoken language and power to present the facts systematically and logically in relation to available legal provision can became a successful lawyer and create a name & fame for himself. Like any other profession, for a successful career one have to be consistent and hard working.
National Law Colleges and other educational institutions are organizing yearly entrance test in the month of April i.e just after final examination, for admission for FIVE – Year Law courses for law aspirants.
Tests comprises of Legal Ability , Reasoning , English and Quantitative Aptitude.
Purpose of Legal Ability Test is to particularly assess person’s interest in this subject.
XII th Standard is the minimum educational criteria for admission for appearing in the entrance test for admission into the National Law Colleges. Preparation should start in the beginning of the XI th itself.
Top Law Colleges in India:
|1.||National Law School of India University (NLSIU)||1||Banglore|
|2.||West Bengal National University of Juridical Science||2||Kolkata|
|3.||Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law ( IIT Kharagpur)||3||Kharagpur|
|4.||National Academy of Legal Studies & Research||4||Hyderabad|
|5.||National Law University||5||Jodhpur|
|6.||National Law University||6||Delhi|
|7.||National Law Institute University||7||Bhopal|
|8.||Campus Law Center , Delhi University||8||Delhi|
|9.||Gujrat National Law University||9||Gandhinagar|
|10.||Hidaytullah National Law University||10||Raipur|
|11.||Faculty of Law (BHU)||11||Varanasi|
|12.||Indian Law Society’s Law College||12||Pune|
|13.||Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law||13||Patiala|
|14.||Ram Manohar Lohia National Law University||14||Lucknow|
|15.||Government Law College||15||Mumbai|
|16.||Faculty Law Aligarh Muslim Uiversity||16||Aligarh|
|17.||National Institute of Advanced Legal Studies||17||Kochi|
|18.||Army Institute of Law||18||Ajitgarh|
|19.||Dr. Ambedkar Government Law College||19||Chennai|
Categories of Lawyer:
- Civil Lawyer: Expert in Civil Laws such as Taxation laws, GST Laws etc.
- Criminal Lawyer: Specializes in CrPC ,IPC and other penal laws.
- Corporate Lawyer : Corporate Lawyers are an elite class in legal practices . The practices of corporate law involves general corporate matters such as incorporation of Companies directors and share holders rights, article of association and meetings Secretarial Matters and the Public Listings or de-listing of Companies.
- Document Drafting Lawyer: Specializes in drafting various legal documents such as agreement, petition, terms & condition etc.
- Legal Journalist: Covers criminal cases related proceedings in courts and arbitration courts and report cases from legal angle.
- Legal Analyst: Works for corporate firms, organizations, Governments departments, Banks, Public Sector Units etc. in analyzing the rules & regulations and present the same in the court of law.
- Legal Consultant/Advisor: Works legal advisor/consultant for Govt or Private Organizations.
- Government Lawyer: Work for government and in close association with police administration.
- Judges : Works as a judge in various courts and offers judgment after conducting the courts proceedings an hearing all the concerned parties.
Demand of Lawyer:
Opening of new types of legal issues has opened a floodgate in the areas for law and law graduates much more in demand. There is a big gap between demand and supply of good lawyer.
Traditionally there was limited scope for a law graduate such independent practice , government lawyer , judge etc but with changes in working scenario of public and private sector , organizations are hiring law graduates on regular basis Law Assistant and Legal Consultants which results in handsome salary package ranging between Rs. 6 lacs to Rs.20 lacs annually.
Top Law Firms:
- J Sagar Associates
- Amarchand Mangaldas
- AZB & Parteners.
- Khaitan & Co.
- Luthra & Luthra.
- Desai & Diwanji.
- Titus & Co.
- Shinghania & Parterners.
- Wadia Chandy & Co.
- Lakshmi Kumaran & Sridharan.
- Economic Law Practice.
- Vaish & Associates.